Yoga for Scleroderma
August 30–September 1, 2019
Taught by Kathy Randolph, C-IAYT
Yoga for the Special Child® Continuing Education on Scleroderma and Arthritis is a comprehensive training course in teaching students of any age with Scleroderma or Arthritis. The Yoga for Scleroderma practice is a comprehensive program of Yoga postures and breathing techniques selected for the benefits to the symptoms of Scleroderma. In this training, you will learn to teach students how to adapt Yoga postures through body positioning and the addition of props, if necessary, for comfort and safety. Our goal is to grow the Yoga teacher community able to support Scleroderma patients worldwide, making Yoga accessible to as many individuals in the Scleroderma Community as possible, to assist them in keeping their bodies moving.
- The symptoms of Scleroderma and Arthritis, how relief is provided by Yoga practice, and safety issues
- Definition of stages and best Yoga routines for each example
- The use of the Bandhas and Kriyas to relieve digestive issues in Scleroderma, safety issues, choosing the right technique for each case, how to teach the Bandhas and Kriyas
- Hands-on practice teaching with fellow participants and volunteer students with Arthritis and/or Scleroderma
- Group discussions on building the right Hatha Yoga class for each case
The program is open to those with any one of the following qualifications:
- Graduates of Yoga for the Special Child Basic Part 1
- 200-hour certified Yoga teachers with at least 1 year of experience teaching a population with special needs
- Health care professionals and special education teachers with at least 1 year of consistent personal Yoga practice
$530 including $200 nonrefundable deposit
$50 early bird discount if you register by August 1, 2019
August 30–September 1, 2019
Friday 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
Continuing Education Hours
18 hours – approved CEUs for Yoga Alliance, IAYT, AOTA, and State of Nevada Physical Therapy Board and State of Nevada Board of Nursing
Kathy Randolph, C-IAYT, began her personal Yoga practice in 1969 and in 1999 began teaching Yoga for the Special Child®, a therapeutic program of Yoga accessible to people with special needs. In 2002 Kathy began to apply the techniques of Yoga for the Special Child®-The Sonia Sumar Method to Scleroderma, which she presents at Scleroderma Foundation conferences, chapters and support group meetings. In 2004 Kathy began teaching Yoga for Arthritis, after applying the Sonia Sumar Method to her own symptoms.
Generous grants from the Scleroderma Foundation and the Texas Bluebonnet Chapter produced the 2003 “Yoga for Scleroderma” and 2010 “Assisted Yoga for Scleroderma” videos. Kathy made “Yoga for Every Scleroderma Body” in 2017, and “Keep Those Scleroderma Bodies Moving” in 2018. All Yoga for Scleroderma video is online for free at www.yogaforscleroderma.com, to reach those the farthest away and with the fewest resources.
In 2015, Sonia Sumar, creator of Yoga for the Special Child®, asked Kathy to create a Yoga for Scleroderma Continuing Education Program, which is offered in the US and internationally.