Yoga for Arthritis Level I Teacher Training Online
June 10 – 27, 2021
Taught by Nancy O’Brien, C-IAYT, RYT-500, Elizabeth (Livvie) Mann, RYT-500, and Sunaya Peter Karow, C-IAYT
As more and more people of all ages turn to Yoga for medical conditions such as arthritis and chronic pain, Yoga teachers want to equip themselves with the knowledge and experience to teach safely. With our training now completely virtual, it is more accessible than ever to learn to effectively and safely impart the evidence-informed Yoga for Arthritis practices and modifications to those who need the empowerment, peace and hope of therapeutic Yoga.
Yoga for Arthritis was developed by an interdisciplinary team of medical and healing professionals, combining ancient Yoga practices with the latest research and medical knowledge. In a seven-year randomized clinical trial at Johns Hopkins, program participation was associated with mitigated arthritis symptoms, disease biomarkers, physical fitness, psychological functioning, and quality of life.
The ever-growing Yoga for Arthritis community provides lifelong support, information, mentoring and inspiration to those who complete Level 1. This training, as well as all of the advanced YFA trainings, fulfills International Association of Yoga Therapy and Yoga Alliance continuing education credit requirements.
Participants receive a certificate of completion and access to extensive resources in an online community devoted to Yoga for Arthritis Level 1 graduates. They are eligible to continue to Level 2 (mentored practicum) and from there to the Level 3 Certification Course. At the end of Level 1, program participants will:
- Understand the basics of autoimmune and mechanical joint disease
- Be able to offer asana modifications for those with joint challenges and pain
- Understand how arthritis impacts all the koshas and how to manage the effects
- Teach Yoga for Arthritis classes in their communities
- Work individually with clients of all ability levels
- Be able to work one-on-one with YFA mentors, many of whom work in hospitals and various other medical settings and who also participate in the high-quality research and advocacy.
This training program includes:
- Free passes for online classes offered through Integral Yoga Institute NY.
- Free access to IYTV, an ever-expanding library of recorded Integral Yoga Teachings, for the duration of the training.
$600 ($550 for Active IYI Teachers and Integral Yoga Therapy Students)
How to Apply
June 10, 12–13, 17, 19–20, 24, and 26–27, 2021
Thursdays • 6:00–8:00p.m. E.D.T.
Saturdays and Sundays • 11:00a.m.–1:00p.m. and 2:00p.m.–4:00p.m. E.D.T.
This is a live and interactive online training, attendance is expected during the class hours above.
Successful completion of a 200-hour teacher training program recognized by Yoga Alliance.
Certification and Continuing Education Credits
- Yoga Alliance: 30 contact hours + 4 non-contact hours for continuing education.
- 300-Hour Certification: 34 hours credit for Integral Yoga 300-Hour Certification
- Yoga Therapy: This course is an elective module in the Integral Yoga Therapy Certification program. For more information and to apply, visit https://integralyoga.org/therapy
This program is endorsed by the Arthritis Foundation and is the basis for its Arthritis-Friendly Yoga DVD, which was released in 2012. Yoga for Arthritis is a Member School with the International Association of Yoga Therapists and this training can be used as credit toward several 800-hour Yoga therapy programs.