As a student I began practicing Yoga at a variety of studios in New York City. I completed my 200hr YT training in Rishikesh, India with Patanjali International Yoga Foundation in 2017. Since then I have gone on to earn certifications in Trauma Informed Practice, Trauma Release, Yin, as well as two Meridian training’s with Science Self Yoga. Prior to teaching I worked as a clinical substance abuse counselor in New York City. All of these experiences have shaped my practice. My teaching style includes a prioritization of breath and mindful awareness. I share aspects of anatomy and the nervous system, as well as Yoga philosophy to aid the student in their process. My classes range from grounding and inward, including fiery and active sequences. I am currently working towards my masters degree in mental health counseling and plan on becoming a somatic therapist.
Pranayam is the practice of Breath Control and Retention. As we practice we can expand our capacity for breath. We will explore the scientific studies of the effect of Pranayam on the Autonomic Nervous System. There will be a brief foray into the anatomy of the vital organs and the connective tissues. We will learn about the Vagus Nerve, referred to as the “Key to Wellbeing”. As we learn about our bodies we can develop tools for self-regulation.
Peer-reviewed scientific studies state that Pranayam practice has been shown to improve:
- Boost Immune System
- Lung Health
- Increases the neurotransmitter GABA (Natures Xanax)
- Reduces Stress
- Shifts the body from Sympathetic to Parasympathetic Nervous system response. (From flight/fight/freeze to rest & digest. )
This workshop will include:
- 45 min Asana
- 15 min Body Awareness Meditation
- 1 hr of Pranayam Instruction & Practice (Slides, take-home material, question and answer session)
- 1 hr Sound Healing Session
We will learn about:
- Kapalabhati (Skull Shining Breath)
- Bhastrika (Breath of Fire)
- Bhramari (Humming Bee Breath)
- Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breathing)
- Bandhas are energetic locks in the body.
- Mula Bandha: Root Lock (Pelvic floor)
- Jalandhara Bandh: Throat Lock (Chin to chest)
- Uddiyana Bandha: Abdominal Lock (Diaphragm lifting)
- Maha Bandha: Employing all three locks at once, from the bottom up.