Section 1: Statement of Purpose
The Integral Yoga organization is committed to and holds high ethical and professional standards for all Integral Yoga staff and teachers. It is the responsibility of the Integral Yoga staff and teachers to ensure a safe and supportive environment for imparting the teachings and for the wellbeing of the students. The Integral Yoga Teacher & Staff Code of Conduct provides clear guidelines for teachers, staff and all presenters so that the highest integrity is maintained at all times in the teacher-student relationship.
It is the policy of Integral Yoga® International to prohibit discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex or gender, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.
Section 2: Principles Regarding Integral Yoga Certified Teachers
As a certified Integral Yoga teacher, I agree to uphold the following ethical principles:
- To create and maintain a safe, clean and conducive environment for the practice of Integral Yoga.
- To conduct myself in a professional and conscientious manner, maintaining appropriate relationship boundaries.
- To use respectful language free from profanity, prejudice, insults, abusive language or verbal threats.
- To avoid words and actions that constitute sexual or other forms of harassment.
- To acknowledge the limitations of my skills and scope of practice and, when appropriate, refer students to seek alternative instruction or guidance.
- To welcome all students regardless of race, religion, beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, age, or cultural background.
- To welcome students regardless of physical limitations unless they are beyond my ability to teach safely, and in such instances to try to refer them to a qualified teacher.
- To cultivate an attitude of Karma Yoga (selfless service) in my teaching and dedicate my teaching to the highest good of all concerned.
- To adhere to the traditional Yoga principles as defined in the yamas and niyamas.
- To dress modestly when I am teaching an Integral Yoga class or giving a talk on Yoga.
- To do my best to follow a vegetarian diet and refrain from any substances that are contrary to a yogic lifestyle.
- To follow all local government and national laws that pertain to my Integral Yoga teaching and business.
Section 3: Professional Practices Regarding Integral Yoga Teachers and Staff
In all professional matters, I will conduct myself in a manner that is ethical, appropriate and respectful of all concerned.
- I will use my knowledge and professional associations for the benefit of the people I serve and not to secure unfair personal advantage.
- Fees, financial arrangements and all contractual matters will be discussed at the outset and established in a straightforward, professional manner.
- I will neither receive nor pay a commission for the referral of a student.
- I will not speak ill of colleagues or other professionals.
Section 4: Student Relationships
Integral Yoga International acknowledges and respects the Spirit in all our students, teachers and staff. We recognize it is the responsibility of the teacher to respect the rights, dignity and privacy of the students.
- I recognize the trust placed in and the unique power of the teacher-student relationship. I will not exploit that trust in any way or try to cultivate dependency of students. I will avoid dual relationships with students (e.g., business or sexual relationships) that could impair my professional judgment, compromise the integrity of my instruction, or use the relationship for my own gain.
- I will not engage in harassment, or abusive words or actions.
- I will not engage in sexual harassment as defined as, but not limited to: comments, gestures, or physical contact of a sexual nature. I realize that behavior, comments, or humor that is offensive to anyone because of its sexual content, or reference to gender or sexual orientation, is unacceptable.
- I recognize that my teaching may lead to physical contact with students, such as adjusting them in asanas, and will exercise the utmost care. Touch will be used only with students’ consent and with their wellbeing in mind, and free of any personal motive.
Section 5: Reporting and Resolution Process
Integral Yoga International is committed to ensuring that all staff, instructors, students and guests are able to enjoy an atmosphere free from sexual harassment and retaliation. We are committed to a timely investigation of any complaint, ensuring that all students are able to enjoy an atmosphere free from sexual or other forms of harassment, or inappropriate conduct.
The reporting process may be initiated by anyone. If a student feels that he or she has been subjected to, or has witnessed, inappropriate behavior by any outside presenters, teachers, staff, guests, or from Integral Yoga clergy (swami or minister) should immediately notify the director of the local Integral Yoga center or a senior staff member.
In the case of Integral Yoga teachers, any violations will immediately be referred to the Integral Yoga Teachers Council. In the case of violations by staff, residents of any center, or guest presenters, the matter will be referred to the local center’s ethics committee for prompt inquiry. In the case of misconduct by an Integral Yoga clergy member, the matter will be referred to either the Integral Yoga Sannyas Board or the Integral Yoga Ministry Board.
November 9, 2021